First of all, we need to know what is good for dogs and especially what is bad.
If you think that your friend, also the dog owner, may not know about it, be sure to share this post on your social profiles or send a link in the message to them (you can find the button above).
Let’s take a look at some facts that some of you may be very surprised by.
Our animals are curious creatures and, unfortunately, there are many potential threats in our homes and gardens. Below are some tips on what you need to pay attention:
If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, or has come into contact with potentially poisonous substances, contact your local veterinary practice immediately.
Chocolates contains theobromine, a chemical that can be fatal to dogs.
Generally speaking, the darker chocolate, the more theobromine it contains, and therefore the more poisonous it is. White chocolate contains very little theobromine and although it is unlikely to cause theobromine poisoning, it is still very fatty and can make your dog ill.
Each year, reports of dogs with chocolate poisoning increase dramatically around Christmas and Easter. Keep pets away from any foods containing chocolate, such as cakes, sweets, cookies and cocoa powder.
Chocolate poisoning can initially cause vomiting and diarrhoea, but may lead to excitability, twitching, tremors, fits and life threatening problems with the heart.
Take extra care to ensure that all chocolate is kept out of the reach of your dog!
Grapes, Currants, Raisins and Sultanas: toxins in these fruits are potentially fatal to dogs. It is believed the dried forms of these fruits are more toxic. It is not known how much is dangerous: some dogs have eaten large quantities of these fruits and had no effects, while others have become unwell after very small amounts.
Cooking or baking doesn’t reduce the risk of poisoning!
It is important not to let your dog eat any foods that contain these fruits, such as hot cross buns, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, fruit cake, mince pies, stollen etc.
Make sure your dog don’t eat any food with these ingredients!
Poisoning may initially result in vomiting and diarrhea and subsequently in kidney failure (which may occur a few days after the initial effects). Kidney failure may sometimes present as a decrease in urination, or your dog may also appear dull and show signs of increased thirst.
If your dog does eat any amount, contact your veterinarian immediately. Prompt treatment is important!
Some sugar-free sweets, sugar replacements, chewing gums, nicotine replacement gums and even some medicines, contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol, which can be very poisonous to dogs. It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar.
Vomiting, lethargy, weakness, difficulty with walking, collapse. Your dog appearing weak.
Liver failure may also occur and, as a result, your pet may suffer seizures or lapse into a coma. The prognosis for liver failure is poor.
For dogs, xylitol ingestion can even death!
Is extremely poisonous to pets. It’s common in human food and can also be found in dishwasher tablets and salts, bath salts, rock salt for de-icing roads and pavements, play dough and, of course, sea water.
Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, high temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death!
There are many house and garden plants that are poisonous to dogs, here are some of the most common ones:
Lily of the valley
List of common potentially poisonous household and garden substances – as supplied by the VPIS (Veterinary Poisons Information Service)